5.03.2010

new shoes

I recently read a New York Times article in the styles section that echoed a lot of the questions I (and I think many others) have about the cost of so-called designer goods. The article was called "Why Does This Pair of Pants Cost $550?"

I don't think I could ever justify spending $550 on a pair of khakis. Or any article of clothing, really. The thing is, thoughts like that bring another into my mind: does my inability to spend that kind of money make me strange? Every time I open a magazine the only skirts and shoes being advertised are the ones that cost as much as a plane ticket to Europe. Student budget aside, it just doesn't seem reasonable to me to spend $1600 on an (amazing) outfit when I want to spend the same amount on an iMac.

So what do I do when the thing I want is slightly out of the price of reason? Just suck it up? I've been wanting these shoes for a month. I've never spent more than $100 on a pair of shoes. These Madewell heels are apparently $148, according to the site. Other sources say $128. I suppose I'll have to decide whether they're worth it when I get back home to new york in a few weeks and try them on. My enormous feet (9.5) will be the deciding factor. I wonder if they even have them in my size.

(My 21st birthday is coming up in August? Is that an adequate reason?)